In this project, there were many jobs that needed to be done. My group distributed the jobs fairly evenly. I helped with taking pictures and videos. I planned storyboards with my group and helping choosing what would be included. I spoke as a reporter in the video and I also spoke in the pitch. I was the group leader and I made the credits for the final project. I learnt a lot in this project about Technology and what all goes into a news production. I learnt a lot about India and their culture and I enjoyed corresponding with them for this project.
This project has really went beyond not just our curriculum but it has also raised the level of journalism class to the international standards. While working on this project, there were few challenges and obstacles that our class had to face but at the same time, we all gained new skills and experience. At times, it was frustrating when we had to figure out how to use a specific technology such as editing our videos in IMovie but that was all part of the learning experience. Through this project, I learned how to make a newscast, conduct interviews, and using IMovie to combine all of our photos and videos in order to make a newscast.
This project, in my opinion turned out really well in the end. When we broadcasted live on the final night, we had a few technical difficulties. We ran into some internet issues and there was still a video left to upload which happened to get uploaded at the very last second. I think that everyone did a fabulous job in bringing this whole project together. If we get an opportunity to do another project like this, I would definitely be willing to do it again.
This project took a long time to get started. We needed to know who we were going to be doing this project with. In the end we had a classmate go to India over the Christmas break to see if we could do this. When they said yes we needed to find out what we were going to do with them. When we found out that we were going to do a news cast with them we needed to know who we were going to make it work.
It took us a while to get into action. We were put into groups and we all did different subjects that we thought would be different between us and them. We started to work on our pitches, then we moved onto our final newscast. We had to interview the people best fit for what our subject was on. Since I was in the group called leisure time we interview people ages 15 to 16 on what they did in there spare time. While we were getting our information we need to organize it before we published it into a good copy.
We did storyboards and had to write what we were going to say. The thing that took the most time was the editing of the video and pictures. As soon as we got our video’s and pictures we needed to put them in the order we needed them to be. When we were done making it into a good copy it was ready to be put in the newscast with everyone’s else’s. It was along process to create this project but in the end the out come was what we needed to make this project the best.
My main role in the production of the journalism project was working the tri-caster. What that consisted of was switching the videos and audio so that it looked like an actual news cast. Ryan Kobelsky set up all the videos so that they were all in order and all I had to do was switch between them at the right times. At first I was nervous and I didn’t want to screw up but as I went along I became more confident and was able to switch at a moments notice. We ran into a slight problem with the Skype set up where the internet went down for a clip and I had to quickly switch to our own anchors to introduce the next story. Overall I had a good experience, I learned new things and found the set up of the project to be very interesting. I think the partners project was a huge success and it could definitely be done again in the future. By: Heather Wood